If you have an older home, chances are your electrical wiring is outdated or close to the end of its safe and functional life. Risks of outdated wiring include fire hazards, electrical shock and electrocution, and power outages. Before catastrophe strikes, consider having your electrical system updated. If you see any of the following signs of electrical wiring or connections in need of updating, call Top Flight Electric to get your electrical wiring back to safe and proper function immediately.

Dimming or Flickering Lights

Flickering and dimming of your lights is a quick and easy sign to show that you have too much of an electrical load on your circuit. This could be due to large appliances that use much greater amounts of energy than lights do. If you continue to operate with flickering or dimming occurring, you could overheat your system, which could lead to electrical fires or failure of your connected appliances. You need a licensed electrician to assess what is causing the issue and have it corrected right away to prevent further damage or injury.

Hot Electrical Outlets

A power outlet should never feel excessively warm to the touch. If you have an outlet in your home that is getting hot, you should immediately unplug anything powering through it. The heating of the outlet could be caused by the circuit your outlet is on being overloaded. If the outlet continues to stay hot after unplugging everything from it, that is a sure sign of poor and unsafe wiring that needs to be addressed immediately by a professional electrician. Do not continue using the hot outlet until it has been looked at and fixed.

Sparks From Any Electrical Connection

The presence of sparks is a serious matter and should be looked into immediately. If sparks are coming from an outlet, a socket, or an appliance, you need to disconnect the power supply right away if you are able to do so in a safe manner. Do not continue to use the implement or outlet until assessed by a professional electrician. If you see sparks coming from your electrical panel, you need emergency electrical service. Continuing to use electricity in the presence of sparks could result in fire and failure of electrical systems, costing you much more money in the long run.

Frequently Tripping Circuit Breakers

If your circuit breaker is overloaded or has shorted wires, it could result in the breaker tripping repeatedly. One solution for this problem could be as simple as plugging appliances into different outlets to lessen the load. For example, if you notice a breaker tripping every time you use the toaster and microwave at the same time, try plugging the toaster into an outlet on a different circuit if possible. If the problem continues to happen, however, you’ll need a licensed electrician to look into the issue and create a solution, such as rearranging outlets to different circuits or creating an entirely new circuit.

You Still Have a Fuse Box

Fuse boxes have been replaced by circuit breakers over the last several decades. If your home still has a fuse box, you can be sure it is many decades old. Newer homes are completed with breaker panels. Over time, the integrity of the system weakens, creating an electrical hazard. The wiring and connections become unstable and should be updated. Contact an electrician to have your fuse box updated to circuit breakers.

Burning Odors

A burning smell coming from an outlet, a light socket, or an appliance could indicate a malfunction in your wiring. If your wires are shorted out, the electrical current could get hot and cause a fire. If you notice a burning smell that cannot be explained by anything else, contact an electrician immediately to assess the situation.

Discoloration of Outlets

Discolored outlet covers can indicate the outlet is getting too hot, burning the cover plate. If you see signs of burnt, warped, or otherwise damaged outlet plates, check to see if the outlet is hot while in use. Discontinue using this outlet until you’ve had a licensed professional inspect the wiring and fix the problem. Continuing to use a hot outlet could result in an electrical fire.

Loose Connections

With time, your outlets may become loose when plugging and unplugging electrical items. You’ll notice a loose outlet when your plugs fall out easily or wiggle in the outlet. Loose electrical outlet plugs are dangerous and pose a shock risk. Contact your electrician right away to have the outlet rewired and replaced to avoid injury and fire.

Dead Outlets or Switches

If an electrical outlet or switch suddenly quits working, it’s likely that the wiring has failed in some way. In many instances, your wires may have become disconnected or loose and unable to carry an electrical current to the outlet or switch. If this is the case, you need to have them replaced by a professional electrician to ensure they are safely reconnected.

Frayed Wires

Fraying electrical wires can pose great risks and should be replaced immediately. Although much of the electrical wiring in your home is behind the scenes and not readily visible, you can still look for possible hazards in the wiring that is showing. If you see frayed wires, you should avoid using the outlets, switches, or appliances that run through these connections and contact your electrician. Using an electrical connection that has frayed wires poses a high risk of electrical shock, electrocution, and fire in the home.

Popping Light Bulbs

If your light bulbs make popping noises or suddenly become very bright or very dim, this is a sign of a poor electrical connection that should be addressed. Call your trusted electrician to inspect the light sockets and the circuits they are running on. The electrician will search for bad wiring and make repairs to create a safe and stable electrical current.

Buzzing Sounds

Electricity itself makes no sound. If you start hearing a buzzing or humming noise, you should carefully try and assess where the sound is coming from. Loose connections, worn-out wires, and anything else that may disrupt the flow of electricity may produce a strange sound. If buzzing appears to be coming from your outlets or other electrical connections, call an electrician to assess the situation.

If you have an older home, it is especially important to keep an eye out for signs of wear in your electrical wiring. At times, even newer homes may face electrical problems as well. Issues with electrical wiring, plugs, and devices are dangerous to you and your home with a high risk of fire and electrical shock. If you notice any of the signs mentioned here, get in touch with an electrician as soon as possible.

For the best electrical services in the Winter Haven area, including lighting and whole-home surge protection, call Top Flight Electric. Our team of licensed electricians has been providing trusted, reliable, and professional electrical services for several years with a focus on customer satisfaction and safety.

company icon